Today is National Cut Your Energy Costs Day—and while it might not be regarded as a widely known holiday, that doesn’t mean that it should be celebrated any less. When we take advantage of opportunities to incorporate more energy efficient strategies into our daily lives, we’ll not only help to preserve the planet, we’ll lighten our monthly electric bills, too.
According to Business Insider, the average American household wastes 283 kilowatt hours of energy per month—the equivalent of running an electric oven at 350 degrees for six full days.
Here are some recommendations from Arizona Public Service (APS) on ways that customers can start saving energy and money in 2021:
- Install a smart or programmable thermostat – Customers can set it and forget it while saving money year-round with a smart or programmable thermostat that automatically adjusts their heating and cooling settings. APS customers can comparison shop thermostat models and take advantage of rebates up to $105 at marketplace.aps.com, the online APS Marketplace for energy-efficient appliances and products.
- Switch to LED light bulbs – Not only do LEDs consume up to 90% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs, but they also last up to 25 times longer and emit less heat. While supplies last, APS customers can receive a free LED light bulb kit at APS Marketplace.
- Schedule maintenance checkups – Take advantage of the cooler months in Arizona to schedule maintenance checkups on appliances such as AC units and pool pumps to keep them running as efficiently as possible before you need them most.
- Schedule a free Virtual Energy Checkup – APS energy efficiency advisors will walk customers through a personalized virtual tour of their own homes giving tips on how and where to save energy and money. To sign up for this free consultation, call (888) 663-2734.
- Create an online home energy profile – In less than five minutes, customers can complete an online survey to see how efficient their home is and get potential savings estimates and energy savings recommendations that make sense for their lifestyle. Visit aps.energysavvy.com to get started.
In addition to following these tips, simply switching service plans for when and how a household uses energy could save a customer hundreds of dollars annually. Monthly APS bills show customers if and how much they could save on a different plan, and customers can compare and switch plans by logging into aps.com. Also, customers can set up Budget Billing and arrange payment plans based on their needs.
Photo courtesy of Matthew Henry on Unsplash.