Popular food blogger and sustainability expert, Marley Goldin—the creator behind Marley’s Menu—has cultivated a number of unique recipes that are meatless, delicious, and perfect for celebrating Earth Day 2021 the right way.
Start your Earth Day off on the right foot with a filling—and ethical—breakfast of champions. Per Marley Goldin and her blog, the Vegan Breakfast Sausage Patties with Apple & Sage recipe is perfect for your first celebratory meal of the green holiday. Warning: Be prepared to be amazed by the inimitable flavors (and surprisingly healthy consistency).
The recipe, which is chock full of protein, nutrients, and fiber, is simple and relatively quick to put together. Full ingredients include: 1 green apple, peeled and cored; 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, diced; 1/2 large yellow onion, diced; 1 cup walnuts; 1 teaspoon flaxseed meal; 1/2 cup cornmeal; 2 cloves garlic; 2 tablespoons maple syrup; 1 teaspoon soy sauce; 2 leaves fresh sage; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1/2 teaspoon pepper; and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
In terms of steps, the directions are fairly straightforward. Here’s exactly how to organize the dish:
- Preheat your oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Peel and roughly chop your green apple, and roughly chop your onion and mushrooms.
- Add your walnuts, mushrooms, onions, garlic, maple syrup, soy sauce, fresh sage, salt, and pepper to a food processor. Pulse about 6-8 times, until all your ingredients are chopped. Do not over-process, you want it to still be chunky.
- Take about a handful worth of your mixture and roll it into a ball and set aside. Repeat until you use up all of your mixture. It usually makes 6-8 breakfast sausages.
- Add olive oil to a large frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add your balled mixture to the pan. Try not to overcrowd the pan— you may have to fry these up in two batches.Use a spatula to press down, so that your mixture forms into a patty. you can use a spoon to reshape them if they crack when you press. Sautee for about 5 minutes before flipping.
- Once both sides are browned, transfer to baking sheet and cook at 375 for 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Even more important than starting your day off on the right note, is ensuring that you end it on an even better one. And with this Rich Vegan Dark Chocolate Oreo Pie from Marley Goldin, there’s basically no better (or healthier-ish) dessert to indulge in and conclude your Earth Day 2021 celebrations properly.
Full ingredients for the crust recipe include 24 (2 sleeves) Oreos and 3 tablespoons vegan butter. And for the Chocolate Mousse Filling, you’ll simply need: 3/4 cup aquafaba (chickpea water); 1/2 cup granulated sugar; and 9 ounces pure of dark chocolate.
Once you have all of your ingredients organized, it’s time to put the final product together. Here are the full directions to follow for the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter in the microwave in 20-second intervals until completely liquefied. Add to a food processor with Oreos and blend until they turn into a fine dust.
- Use your hands to press the Oreo and butter mixture into a greased pie dish and cook for 8 minutes at 350. Set aside to cool.
Then for the mousse:
For more information and other recipe inspiration from Marley Goldin, visit www.marleysmenu.com.