This deliciously simple 5-ingredient pie will be your savior this holiday season! Use fresh Arizona lemon, eggs, butter and whipped cream to make this dish a local favorite. This unique recipe also utilizes an entire lemon, peel and all! Lemon peels contain calcium, potassium, vitamin C and fiber.
1 large lemon, cleaned well
4 large Arizona eggs
1 stick (8 Tbsp) melted butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 (8-9 inch) pie crust (or make your own)
Whipped cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle a little sugar over the pie crust and bake until light golden brown, about 15 minutes. (Poke with toothpick or fork if it bubbles during baking process.)
- Cut lemon in chunks, leaving rind on. Remove seeds.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together cut lemon, eggs, butter, vanilla and sugar until mixture is smooth and creamy, and fairly runny. Pour into baked pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. If crust becomes too brown, cover gently with foil and finish baking.
- Let set up for about an hour, then refrigerate to chill for a few hours or overnight.
- Garnish with fresh whipped cream and lemon pieces, as desired.
Recipe and image courtesy of Jan D’Atri, One Minute Kitchen.