Lighten up your summer with this refreshing and healthy pasta salad, featuring a plethora of fresh veggies: tomatoes, asparagus, bell pepper, squash, zucchini and onion.
6 cups pasta, your choice
4 fl. oz. olive oil, divided
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium yellow squash, sliced
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1/4 of a red onion, chopped
3 fl. oz. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh herbs (basil, cilantro, oregano)
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
1. Follow pasta cooking procedures on package – cook al-dente. Strain pasta.
2. Add 2 fl. oz. of olive oil to the strained pasta and place in bowl. Set aside in refrigerator.
3. Wash and chop all vegetables.
4. Place veggies on a large sheet pan in a flat single layer and drizzle 1 fl. oz. of olive oil on top.
5. Place in oven under broiler set on high for about five minutes. This will give the veggies some char with a little crunch to them. Mix during the cooking process using tongs.
6. In a large mixing bowl, whisk remaining 1 fl. oz. olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, fresh herbs, salt and pepper.
7. To plate, mix fresh herb vinaigrette with chilled pasta and roasted vegetables and toss gently.
8. Garnish with more fresh herbs and cheese if you prefer. Enjoy!
Recipe and image courtesy of Pita Jungle.