St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner! And while the Irish holiday might be a beloved excuse to indulge in pints of beer and bake loaves of soda bread, this avocado ice cream recipe from bistroMD is the perfect (and surprisingly healthy) dessert alternative to cap off your St. Paddy’s Day celebrations.
Avocado ice cream is as beautiful as it is completely decadent—and lucky for us, guilt-free too. This treat is vegetarian, dairy-free, and dietitian-approved by bistroMD’s own nutritionists. Check out the full list of ingredients, steps, and more below.
- 3 ripe avocados
- 3 medium-sized bananas (peeled, chopped, and frozen)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of your favorite unsweetened milk
- Optional sweeteners or other add-ins
1. Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and scrape out the edible flesh into a food processor.
2. Add frozen banana pieces and vanilla extract to food processor. Helpful tip: Peel and slice ripe bananas and keep in freezer to have pre-frozen and on hand.
3. Process ingredients together until the mixture is smooth. Splash with milk as needed to soften the mixture. You may need to stop processing and scrape the edges a time or two.
4. Once smooth, lightly mix optional add-ins. (Read on for tasty flavor combinations!)
5. Serve and enjoy or freeze until use. Once frozen, the ice cream may need thawed prior to serving.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
For this recipe, yield: 8, 1/2-cup servings. The calorie count is 140, with 9 grams of total fat, 2 grams of protein, and 10 grams of net carbs. Be sure to note that the nutrition per serving does not account for any add-ins
For more information on this recipe and other inspiration, visit www.bistromd.com.