Bone broth is having a moment and for good reason. This wonder liquid known for its nutritional superpowers is low in calories (about 70 per cup), high in protein (upwards of 16 grams per cup), and low in carbs (less than one gram). It’s also the best whole food source of collagen — the most abundant protein in the body that is also responsible for maintaining our skin’s structure.
In short – bone broth does a body good. But if the thought of sipping soup during the summer isn’t for you, bone broth is a versatile addition to a myriad of recipes — including cocktails!
Read on to learn how to sneak some beauty-boosting collagen into your poolside drinks this summer with recipes from celebrity nutrition expert and New York Times bestselling author, Dr. Kellyann Petrucci.
CUCUMBER MELON COOLER
Makes two 12-ounce servings
- 1 cup homemade or store bought chicken bone broth
- 1 cup ripe honeydew melon, chilled and roughly chopped
- ½ English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped, plus two vertical slices for garnish
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice plus wedges for garnish
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, plus a few extra for garnish
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon jalapeño hot sauce (may substitute 2 pinches of cayenne pepper)
- 2 ounces silver tequila or potato vodka
- Ice cubes
Place all ingredients except alcohol and ice in a blender and blend until pureed. Fill two tall glasses with ice, add 1 ounce silver tequila or potato vodka to each glass, add mixture from blender, and stir. Garnish with cucumber stick, lime, and cilantro.
Find more savory recipes in Green Living Magazine’s Savor section. Stay tuned in August for one more bone broth based cocktail. We feature two recipes in our print magazine every month!