PHOTO PROVIDED BY TRUE FOOD KITCHEN
Bison Umami burger with roasted mushroom blend and caramelized onions
Bison Burger Mix
- 2-1/4 lbs or 4 cups ground bison
- 2-1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1-1/4 tsp kosher salt
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix using your hands to distribute seasonings evenly. Portion the meat into 6 burgers, 2/3 cup of buffalo per burger.
Roasted mushroom blend – Yields about 3 cups
- 4 cups loosely packed Shiitake mushroom, ¼-inch sliced
- 3-1/2 cups loosely packed oyster mushrooms, ¼-inch sliced
- 2 cups, loosely packed maitake mushrooms, torn into small pieces
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp expeller-pressed canola oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss together the mushrooms in a large bowl. Season the mushrooms with the salt, pepper and canola oil. Toss well to coat mushrooms evenly with the seasonings. Place the seasoned mushrooms on a sheet pan with a silpat and spread evenly into a thin layer. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until soft, lightly browned and cooked through. Serve hot, or cool and hold in refrigerator for later use.
Caramelized onions – Yields 2 ½ cups
- 3 yellow onions, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 tbsp expeller-pressed canola oil
Heat the canola oil in a nonstick pan and add sliced onions. Reduce heat to medium low and cook the onions, stirring often. Cook until they are soft and brown, about 20-30 minutes. Serve warm, or cool and hold in refrigerator for later use.
Umami Sauce – Yields 1 ½ cup
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp tamari
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup EVOO
Place all of the ingredients, except olive oil, in a blender and blend until well combined. Place blender on medium speed and drizzle in olive oil. Blend until well emulsified and thick. Adjust seasoning with salt as needed. Transfer and store in refrigerator until needed.
Preparation & plating
- 6 patties buffalo burger mix
- 1 1/2 cup roasted mushroom blend
- 1 1/2 cup caramelized onions
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Reggiano
- 1/3 cup Umami sauce
- 6 Flax seed buns
- Add mayonnaise (expeller-pressed canola oil version if possible) to taste
Preheat grill. Preheat oven to 400 degrees if the mushrooms and onions were done in advance and cooled. Place burgers on the hot grill and grill to preferred doneness.
If the mushrooms and onions were done in advance, place caramelized onion in an oven-safe dish and place in oven to heat. Heat the roasted mushroom blend in the same manner. Toast the flax seed buns.
To compose, place the burgers on the buns. Top them with the mushrooms and caramelized onions and drizzle with Umami sauce. Finish with the cheese and the top of the bun. Serve.
Recipe courtesy of True Food Kitchen | Phoenix & Scottsdale